Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

teething PROBLEMS..

Dealing with a teething baby is extremely exhausting. You might as well throw your sanity right out the window and be prepared for a screaming, cranky, drooling, restless baby.. But here are some ways I personally found helpful during this insane life of being a mommy.

 

 

 



1. Tylenol- make sure to ask your pediatrician so you can get the correct dose for your little ones weight and for how often to use. 

2. Teething toys- pjs favorite one is one that I actually got from dollar general prolly because it's an ice cream cone. The ice cream(A) is the part that freezes and the cone part isn't as cold for your little ones fingers. She also liked the soft teething beads(B).



Ice cream cone teether (A) Dollar general or Dollar tree special ;)

 
(B) Nuby Soft Teething beads


3.) Wash cloth- I would wet down a washcloth put it in a plastic bag in the freezer. I would take it out and hand it to her when she got fussy. When she is REALLY FUSSY I soak the washcloth in chamomile tea. It helps calm her down!

4.) If you can't afford teething toys, or don't simply have them on hand you can place your little one's pacifier into the freezer for about an hour. It seems to help calm her a little down when she would actually take the pacifier!

5.) I have never tried this but you can make homemade teething biscuits.

6.) For my baby shower I got a mesh bag to put fruit in for teething. I tried freezing a banana and giving it to her in the mesh bag. Needless to say, I had a sticky baby and sticky carpet! It wasn't so bad when I froze a melon and gave it to her.

7.) You can also give them a frozen bagel or LARGE carrot that was in the freezer to naw on. (Don't leave child unattended, obviously. Don't use baby carrots, it is a HUGE choking hazard.)

8.) Room temperature teethers will also work. By allowing them to chew on it the pressure is helping their gums feel better.

9.) They make a teething necklace. I have never tried this.. Mostly because I don't see the point of spending 20-25 bucks on something my daughter or dog will chew up.

10.) Sophie the giraffe- I also don't have this for the same reason I don't have the necklace... But my nephew does have this and he eats the crap out of the head of the giraffe!

11.) PJ is now getting top teeth, my pediatrician told me I could start diluting apple juice. 2 oz water and 2 oz apple juice. The cold juice helped calm her down. Some times I just gave her cold water to help numb her sore gums. Lately I found she has been chewing up the nipple when the juice is gone.

12.) Place water in a bottle and place in freezer upside down, so that way you baby can rub her gums on the nipple while it warms up the baby can also drink. If your child is older you can also do it with a rubber tip sippy cup.

13. Gently massage the babies gums with a clean finger. I however, cannot do this since Pj has her bottom teeth and are now getting her top teeth. It is exactly like the youtube video, OUCH Charlie, that really hurt!!

14.) Rub those gums with some gauze or a fresh cloth to clean the area and soothe teething pain. If your baby has already sprouted some teeth, try brushing them with a soft, child's toothbrush.


Items I do not use because I have seen bad reviews... I have heard bad things about these...

-- Oraljel- which has benzocaine in it.
Benzocaine is associated with a rare but serious condition called methemoglobinemia, which greatly reduces the amount of oxygen carried through the bloodstream. In the most severe cases, the condition can be life-threatening. ( I heard about this from my dentist assistant and ever since, I have NEVER used it again!)

--Hyland teething tablets- FDA notified consumers that Hyland’s Teething Tablets is being recalled because the tablets may pose a risk to children. The tablets are manufactured to contain a small amount of belladonna, a substance that can cause serious harm at larger doses. For such a product, it is important that the amount of belladonna be carefully controlled. FDA laboratory analysis has found that Hyland’s Teething Tablets contain inconsistent amounts of belladonna.


No comments:

Post a Comment