Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Learning from devistation



Some times you have to take hard hits in life. You may not all known what happened to Washington, IL but it was hit by a tornado on 11/22/13 by an E4 tornado. I always felt so safe and thought I would never have to worry about a tornado until that day. Our weather scanner went off and I started thinking. I never made an emergency response kit.. Not only for me but also for my little one. I quickly ran around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to grab different things around the house before I had to go down to the basement. After seeing all of the destruction that this tornado did, I vowed to create my emergency response kit.


Your little bundle of joy will need things that are not on your standard survival kit, I personally never even thought of making this until this devastation hit near me. It was more like a reality check to my mommy*hood on how I need to be prepared for her as well.


All of these items I am about to mention; you will need to check expiration dates and stay on top of them. I took a paper protector sheet and taped it on my box in black was the parrishable item and in red was the expiration date; I keep this in the basement so: I also added a list to my fridge. (This way I can still use the products before they expire and replace them with new ones. Which is why I also used to paper protector sheet so I can take the piece of paper and replace it with correct dates)

  • Formula- Even if you are nursing! They make supplementation formula. Make sure you still have it for any reason you and your little one are separated they can still eat. (I hate to say this but, in case of the event where you didn't make it, someone will need to step in and feed the child)
  • Baby cereal- This mainly depends on if your baby is using this and which stage they are in.
  • Baby Food- make sure you keep up with their growing needs. (Step 1,2,3)
  • Tylenol & Motrin- these don't expire for a while but it is still good to keep an eye on them. I'd hate to be in a bind and have a baby with a fever or teething pain with expired medicine.
  • Baby Jammies, socks, hats- These obviously don't expire but your baby is a growing peanut! Make sure you change out the sizes as they grow.
  • Diapers- Again this item doesn't expire but the sizes also change as your baby grows.

The following items you won't need to keep track of:
  • Water bottles or gallons of water. They recommend one gallon per person. That includes your little one!
  • Bottles/sippy cups (depending on which stage your child is in) Also if you decide to go with water bottle. I know Hyvee has a nipple that can be converted to attach to water bottles.
  • Pacifiers (if your child is using, my little one is a thumb sucker which saved me a little extra room)
  • Pacifier wipes (again if you child is using a pacifier)
  • Baby wipes
  • Travel Johnson & Johnson Kit (includes: baby shampoo, baby wash, baby powder, etc)
  • I included a big tube of A & D ointment but it is your preference.
  • blankets ( I added three, only for my little one, I included others for the adults in a different kit)
  • handwarmers ( Being in the military... I learned.. these can be used to heat food up- hint: bottles, baby foot, even the baby!)
  • Saline wipes (I prefer Johnson & Johnson but you could use others)
  • Kleenex (either a box or just a travel package)
  • bibs (amount depends on your child's needs)
  • burp clothes (amount depends on your child's needs)
  • small toys (I even went out and bought a double of my child's favorite toys!)
  • plastic bags- Can be used for multiple of things. To keep extra clothes dry, dirty diapers, etc)
  • Manual breast pump and accessories (Depends on if you still need)
  • refrigerated bottle bag
  • Cold packs (I say this in case you buy the liquid formula, once you open you have to keep cold for it to stay good, or you may need this to keep your breast milk good)
  • Bulb syring & saline
If anyone else has any other suggestion please feel free to comment below! Being prepared is key! Even though I was safe during this devastation, it was still a learning experience, running around like a chicken with their head cut off was NO FUN in an uncertain and scary time!



Stay tuned in.. You won't want to miss a NEW mommy experience!

----Beautiful... Disasters----
<3 Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment