Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Increasing Breastmilk Supply

Breastfeeding started off ok for me in the beginning, but I had troubles getting her to latch on. I even talked with a consultant. The only thing they really could tell me what to do is try a shield. The shield worked for a little while until I was RAW and BLEEDing every time I nursed. I quit breadtfeeding shortly after PJ was born. I couldn't take the pain I was constantly in. So, I am no expert on this situation. So I hit up my mommy friends on what they do to boost their breast milk supply. Here are some of their suggestions:

  1. Drink 10-12 glasses of water a day
  2. Set up routine feedings
  • try to pump 15 minutes at a time at least 8 times a day. If you just breast fed your little one pump for 5-10 minutes afterwards.
  1. Get enough rest. (yes I know REALLY?)
  2. Lactation Cookies (Recipe below)
  3. Eat oatmeal daily
  4. Eat carrots for a snack
  5. Use more garlic
  6. Eat Nuts also for a snack
  7. Sesame Seeds
  8. eating more ginger
  9. Eat foods with complex carbohydrates. (brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole wheat bread, and beans.
  10. Eat lean meats (chicken breasts, fish, low-fat dairy products, and soy products.
  11. Talk to your OB about using a prescription or herbal supplements (fenugreek, blessed thistle, and red raspberry_ The prescription drug is called metoclopramide.)
  12. Limit the use of pacifiers and bottles this way when you go to feed your little one they are satisfying their suckings needs during their feedings.
  13. Skin to skin contact during breastfeeding (baby naked except for diaper)




     


Lactation Cookies
1 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
4 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons of flax seed meal
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of steel cut oats
1 cup of chocolate chips ( I also add white chocolate!)
4 tablespoons of brewer's yeast

Directions:

 
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F
 
Mix the flaxseed meal and water, let sit for about five minutes
 
Cream the butter sugar, and brown sugar
 
Add eggs and mix well
 
Add flaxseed mix and vanilla and mix well
 
Sift together flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt
 
Add dry ingredients to butter mix
 
Stir in oats and chocolate chips
 
Scoop into balls onto baking sheets (1 inch balls)
 
Bake for 12 minutes then allow to cool before removing off of tray!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment